Thursday 30 April 2009

4 Networking


I've always cringed at the idea of Networking events. Being a creative type I prefer to let my work do the talking and am happiest getting on with the job of producing it. After looking into Networking organisations in my local area a few months back I was rather put off by what seemed to be a whole stream of etiquette, rules for joining, not to mention the financial outlay.

After attending a couple of recent free Business Link seminars; they we're very good by the way, I got chatting to Bernadette Jones and she mentioned 4Networking, of which she helps run the Birmingham City Centre meet ups.

On the promise that these events are a lot less stuffy/ restrictive than many other network groups I went along to my first session yesterday. I have to say I'm very impressed, the set up is informal but structured, you each have a 40 second round to introduce yourself and the services you provide, followed by three 10 min chats with anyone you may be able to help or could help you.

At the time of writing this I have two meetings with new contacts lined up and some details for a few more referred from one of the attendees. As a non-networker I'm very impressed and have signed up for a 6 month passport so I can visit some of the other groups in the local area, as and when my commitments allow.

If you've been looking for a networking group then register for the free online forum and get involved.

No comments: