Tuesday 16 September 2008

an issuu solved?


Well I was eager to have a play around with the previously mentioned issuu.com so above is Issue 1 of SpeakOut Magazine. I have to say overall I'm very impressed. It will help extend the reach of a small run/ limited budget printed magazines/ brochures but also enable creatives who may not have the web skills to develop a full online portfolio but need to reach potential clients screens. 

The account features and uploading are easy to follow and can be done by pretty much anyone (as long as you are able to put together a multipage PDF). I'm loving that they have invested the time in making it easy to upload your magazines onto blogs, facebook etc and (unlike some flash based viewers) the display keeps text easily readable. Alternate viewing and navigation modes along with easy printing options complete the package. 

I'm not without a few grumbles though, the search options seem limited at the moment so finding other decent magazines/ folios published on the site is a bit of a trawl. Hopefully this is something they will address with advanced search options. A note of caution for those generating PDFs from InDesign, it doesn't like any effects you may have added, transparencies, drop shadows etc. I tried several PDF options to try and solve the problem but ended up just taking all the effects off the original document. If anyone knows a way round this I would be grateful! 



1 comment:

Russell said...

Well I've had a reply from martin at issuu with an answer to my questions it is below:

'You can upload as PDF v1.3 to fix layout errors in conversion. We're adding more robust conversion next months, that'll fix this permanently. Also, we'll add a much better search page. So stay tuned'